- Glycogen bounces back 4-6 days after a peak session. Ironman people often taper too long by not doing a moderately long session 4-6 days before the key race.
- The shorter harder events you need more freshness. Longer the events you carry more fitness in rather than freshness.
- Reduce load approximately 40-60%- some tend to reduce too much and fall flat race day.
- Maintain frequency of pre taper load at >= 80%
- Consider a higher volume session 4-6 days before the event.
- Consider travel in your taper plan. How does travel affect you. How long is your travel.
- A lot of athletes feel bad in taper and learn that they will have a great race with practice. Some athletes struggle to manage their emotions and this stress impacts the overall fatigue.
- Caution athletes not to ramp up their energy in the other areas of their lives.
- Athletes get too obsessed with the one thing that will make or break their race.
Click here to subscribe to Marilyn’s YouTube Channel
More Content by Marilyn Chychota
Here are some key things you need to think about as you get within 8-16 weeks…
Feb 13, 2020
When we are put under pressure racing and training we can get emotional. It can bring…
Oct 21, 2019
Coaches Marilyn and Sue talk about all things triathlon and training. Topics: Group training, handling fatigue…
Sep 18, 2019
If you’ve been in this sport for any length of time, you start to learn about…
Jul 26, 2019
Coach Marilyn gives some tips for finding the right saddle fit for you.
Jun 12, 2019
Race season is here! Join MCC coaches Marilyn Chychota and Sue Aquila as they discuss race…
May 21, 2019
Using different ranges of cadence sessions is key in developing your cycling ability and endurance success.&he…
Mar 20, 2019
Coach Marilyn Chychota shows how to execute a big gear strength training on your bike. Check…
Mar 07, 2019
The questions and your answers in this booklet will help you design a template for your…
Jan 07, 2019
Coach Marilyn Chychota give some specific swim sets to target in your training, specifically for building&hell…
Apr 03, 2018